Friday, September 9, 2011

Being a Teen

So Erin is turning 16 tomorrow.  Which is crazy to think about her turning 16.  I have only been playing the "mom" role in her life for 2ish years but I have known her since she was probably around 9 or 10.  With this big event happening in her life it makes me start reflecting.

I have been thinking a lot about my junior high and high school years and praying that Andy and Erin are not having what I experienced.  Andy and Erin are classic personality's to be made fun of because they are both so unique and original.  And I hate that this still goes on in 2011.  It wasn't really until my Junior year of High School that I developed a close friend (which I still have and love her dearly).  But until then I was bullied beyond all reason.  Those times really shaped who I was for many years after that and some even today.  I sometimes wonder who and what I would have been if my all of my joy hadn't been sucked out by simply mean peers.  Now I hope that what learned from the torture of those years that I can teach Erin and Andy how to deal with those issues when they arise.  Hopefully they were not like me and think there parents don't know anything :-)

As we celebrate Erin's birthday tomorrow I really hope she enjoys herself.  She is such a strong girl and beautiful girl.  To be really honest I can't help but wish Kristina was here to celebrate this day with her.  Erin loved her mom so much and she was her best friend. I know Erin will be thinking about her a lot tomorrow wishing the same thing I am which breaks my heart in many ways.  So I must push on praying that she will feel loved by many people tomorrow and know how special she is and that I love her more then she knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment